Yesterday my husband and I celebrated 5 years of marital bliss. It seems like only yesterday we were planning our wedding, I can't believe it has been 5 years already!
After church it was time to get the final touches for our dinner then home to get things going. On the menu was Flank Steak with Garlic Tomato Jam, and Arugula Salad; recipe presented on the Today show this week ~ a recipe I got from the Today Show: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32878607/ns/today-today_food_and_wine/ (all ingredient info is at the end of this blog).
First I prepared the garlic tomato jam; it had to cook down so it was going to take a bit longer than everything else.
Then I prepared the Arugula Salad; I varied the recipe by adding some spinach as well, but the ingredient that turned out to be key in the salad was the freshly grated parmesan cheese ~ YUMMY!
Then it was on to the steak, which I had marinated all day in a roasted garlic & herb marinade (store brought ~ another variant to the recipe as presented on the Today Show). The steak smelled absolutely delicious while it was cooking (sorry, the aroma distracted me and I forgot to photograh it); and once topped with the garlic tomato jam it made for a deliciously looking professional presentation (ok, I will let you judge for yourselves).
We ended the night with a movie. It was a wonderful meal, and a wonderful anniversary! I am thankful for this and all the blessings I have in my life.
Garlic tomato jam• 6 large ripe tomatoes, cored and cut in half crosswise (about 4 pounds, peeled seeded and fine diced)
• 1/3 cup sugar
• 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
• 5 garlic cloves, roasted until soft and pureed
• 1 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and minced
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 1/4 pound flank steak
• Sea salt
• Fresh cracked black pepper
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 bunch (about 5 1/2 cups) arugula
• 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• 2 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
• 1 1/4 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• Dash kosher salt
• Dash freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup Regianno-Parmesan cheese, sliced thin