The number 1 killer of women in the United States is heart disease. February is Heart Health Awareness Month and today, February 4, 2011 is National Wear Red Day.
National Wear Red Day is part of The Heart Truth Campaign to raise awareness that heart disease is the #1 killer of women in the US, and it is time to do something about it. "The campaign's goal is to give women a personal and urgent wake-up call about their risk of heart disease".
Some of the risk factors for heart disease like age and family history cannot be changed, but lifestyle risks can be so below you will find the Ten Commandments for a Health Heart, these are the factors that we can (and should) control.
So for today, Pink @ Heart is going red. I will be joining with women around the nation and wearing red today. I pledge to take control of my heart health and further educate myself on the risk factors of heart disease and how I can control my risk.
This pledge is not just for today, but for a lifestyle change. I hope that with this blog I reach an audience that needs to hear this information, and will join me in pledging for better health. So who's with me?
For more information on heart health and The Heart Truth click the picture below.
TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR A HEALTHY HEART
- Know your risk factors for heart disease.
- Talk to your doctor about reducing your risk of heart disease.
- Have your blood pressure checked regularly.
- Know your cholesterol numbers. [These include total cholesterol, HDL or "good" cholesterol, LDL or "bad" cholesterol, and triglycerides.]
- Have your blood sugar level checked for diabetes.
- Do not smoke cigarettes or use other tobacco products.
- Eat for your heart health.
- Get regular physical activity. [At least 30 minutes of moderate physical activity on most or all days of the week.]
- Aim for a healthy weight.